A Growth Theory and Competitiveness Gains Measure Linkage
This work provides a macroeconomic approach and a sound conceptual foundation for the notion of "competitiveness gains", so prone to multiple interpretations, and to make it fit for empirical analyses. Instead of "competitiveness" is "competitiveness gains" the relevant concept, defined as a situation where the economy experiences a higher growth rate of TFP than its competitors. We present a theoretical model of competitiveness that provides a rationale for the variations of competitiveness,associated to the behavior of related variables; then we carry out an empirical exercise which shows that our formalization supports a measurable approximation to competitiveness gains.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Notes on Growth Accounting,"
NBER Working Papers
6654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross & DEC, 1994.
"Capital fundamentalism, economic development, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1285, The World Bank.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1994. "Capital fundamentalism, economic development, and economic growth," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 259-292, June.
- Julian Reiss, 2001. "Natural economic quantities and their measurement," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 287-311.
- Habib Ahmed & Stephen M. Miller, 1999. "The Level of Development and the Determinants of Productivity Growth," Working papers 1999-03, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Charles R. Hulten, 2000. "Total Factor Productivity: A Short Biography," NBER Working Papers 7471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- H. Ahmed & S. M. Miller, 2002. "The level of development and the determinants of productivity growth: a cross-country analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1089-1095.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.