Growth, External Debt Constraints and Budgetary Policies
This paper extends MURPHY's (1991) analysis of alternative lending arrangements. We incorporate the capital accumulation into the two sector model and departure from traditional model of this kind by making two assumptions. One of them is to postulate rigid wage and unemployment, and the another is to assume sector-specic capital goods. We analyze then the long-run behavior and the short-run adjustment path for macroeconomic variables such as stock of external debt, real exchange rate, capital stocks, investment and private consumption of a small developing country in response to dierent budgetary policy changes under three alternative lending arrangements. The results suggest that, rst, the behavior of the economic system under total debt and debt-ratio arrangements are the same in the long-run and not very dierent in the short- and intermediate-run; secondly, the budgetary policies can have an inuence over the external debt in the short- and intermediate-run under the total debt ratio arrangement.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1992|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engel, Charles & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1989.
"Saving and Investment in an Open Economy with Non-traded Goods,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 735-752, November.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth Kletzer, 1987. "Saving and Investment in an Open Economy with Non-Traded Goods," NBER Working Papers 2141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, Eduardo R., 1989. "Fiscal policy and foreign debt," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 53-75, February.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988. "Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 220-245, June.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1986. "Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy," NBER Working Papers 2023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1986. "Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ichiro Otani & Delano Villanueva, 1989. "Theoretical Aspects of Growth in Developing Countries: External Debt Dynamics and the Role of Human Capital," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 307-342, June.
- Murphy, Robert G., 1991. "Macroeconomic adjustment under alternative lending arrangements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 103-127.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1987. "Current account dynamics in a finite horizon model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 299-313, November.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1991. "On exchange-rate stabilization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 7-26.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-224, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1989. "Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 811-831, November.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 2781, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. P. Gould, 1968. "Adjustment Costs in the Theory of Investment of the Firm," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 47-55.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321-321. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.