Fiscal Policy, Capital Accumulation, and Debt in an Open Economy
This paper analyzes the effects of changes in government expenditure on both a domestically produced and an imported good in an open economy based on intertemporal optimizing behavior. The dynamic adjustment is characterized in detail and the critical role played by the accumulating capital stock is highlighted. The evolution of the current account is seen to mirror that of capital. The welfare of such policies is also assessed in terms of the intertemporal utility of the representative agent. Both permanent and temporary policy changes are considered, with the latter being shown to have a permanent effect on the economy. Copyright 1991 by Royal Economic Society.
Volume (Year): 43 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1987. "Current account dynamics in a finite horizon model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 299-313, November.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1989.
"Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 811-831, November.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Tariffs, Capital Accumulation, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 2781, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock, Philip L., 1988. "Investment, the current account, and the relative price of non-traded goods in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 235-253, May.
- J. P. Gould, 1968. "Adjustment Costs in the Theory of Investment of the Firm," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 47-55.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321-321. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxecpp:v:43:y:1991:i:1:p:1-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.