Human Capital vs Physical Capital: A cross country analysis of human development strategies
This study estimates a small simultaneous equation model using panel data from sixty-four countries for the years, 1996 and 2004. The model is estimated by various techniques - OLS, TSLS, dummy variable approach introducing variation at the regional level and fixed and random effect approaches introducing variation at the individual country level. The objective is to identify the importance of basic needs in human development strategies in Asia, Africa and rest of the world (ROW). The results show that income per capita has priority over basic need expenditure in development strategies of all regions despite quantitatively different. However, the importance of basic need expenditure cannot be denied in terms of capabilities development (improvement in health) that ultimately increases productivity.
|Date of creation:||05 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sudhir Anand & Martin Ravallion, 1993. "Human Development in Poor Countries: On the Role of Private Incomes and Public Services," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 133-150, Winter.
- Lucia Hanmer & Robert Lensink & Howard White, 2003. "Infant and child mortality in developing countries: Analysing the data for Robust determinants," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 101-118.
- Richard J. Szal, 1980. "Operationalising the Concept of Basic Needs," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 237-246.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Good and bad growth: The human development reports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-638, May.
- Hicks, Norman L., 1979. "Growth vs basic needs: Is there a trade-off?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(11-12), pages 985-994.
- Goldstein, Joshua S., 1985. "Basic human needs: The plateau curve," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 595-609, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.