Risk and return nexus in Malaysian stock market: Empirical evidence from CAPM
This paper examines the applicability of CAPM in explaining the risk-return relation in the Malaysian stock market for the period of January 1995 to December 2006. The test, using linear regression method, was carried out on four models: the standard CAPM model with constant beta (Model I), the standard CAPM model with time-varying beta (Model II), the CAPM model conditional on segregating positive and negative market risk premiums with constant beta (Model III), as well as the CAPM model conditional on segregating positive and negative market risk premiums with time varying beta (Model IV). Empirical results indicate that both the standard CAPM models (Model I and Model II) are statistically insignificant. However, the CAPM models conditional on segregating positive and negative market risk premiums (Model III and Model IV) are statistically significant. In addition, this study also discovers that time varying beta provides better explanatory power.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-465, June.
- Chan, Louis K C & Hamao, Yasushi & Lakonishok, Josef, 1991. " Fundamentals and Stock Returns in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1739-1764, December.
- Ray Ball & Philip Brown & R. R. Officer, 1976. "Asset Pricing in the Australian Industrial Equity Market," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 1(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Chen, Ming-Hsiang, 2003. "Risk and return: CAPM and CCAPM," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 369-393.
- Yue-Cheong Chan, 1997. "Multivariate testing of the capital asset pricing model in the Hong Kong stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 311-316.
- Shafiqur-Rahman & Coggin, T Daniel & Lee, Cheng-Few, 1998. "Some Tests of the Risk-Return Relationship Using Alternative Asset Pricing Models and Observed Expected Returns," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 69-91, July.
- Tang, Gordon Y. N. & Shum, Wai Cheong, 2004. "The risk-return relations in the Singapore stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 179-195, April.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Soydemir, Gokce A., 2005. "Differences in the price of risk and the resulting response to shocks: an analysis of Asian markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 285-313, October.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Drew, Michael E. & Naughton, Tony & Veeraraghavan, Madhu, 2004. "Is idiosyncratic volatility priced?: Evidence from the Shanghai Stock Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 349-366.
- Joseph Cheng, 1997. "A switching regression approach to the stationarity of systematic and non-systematic risks: the Hong Kong experience," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 45-57.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Peare, Paula, 2005. "Estimation of expected return: CAPM vs. Fama and French," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 407-427.
- Elsas, Ralf & El-Shaer, Mahmoud & Theissen, Erik, 2003. "Beta and returns revisited: Evidence from the German stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-18, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.