Japanese Yen as an alternative vehicle currency in Asian
Members of Asian countries have been thinking about using others’ currencies instead of U.S. Dollar for regional trade. Hence, there is a strong case to study the Japanese Yen as an alternative hard currency in this region for trade transaction. This paper investigates the long-run co-integration to determine the possibility and feasibility to use Yen as a future vehicle currency in the Asian region namely Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, China, Korea and India by examining their daily exchange rate movements denominated in Yen. Empirical evidence shows that four out of eight countries namely Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Korea are the countries that support our hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Tse, Y. K. & Ng, L. K., 1997. "The cointegration of Asian currencies revisited," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 109-114, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Schwert, G. William, 1987. "Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-103, July.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Mougoue, Mbodja, 1993. "Cointegration among Southeast Asian and Japanese currencies: Preliminary evidence of a Yen bloc?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 161-166.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Mougoue, Mbodja, 1996. "Cointegration among Asian currencies: Evidence of the increasing influence of the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 291-308, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11891. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.