Islamic Banks: Profit sharing, equity, leverage lure and credit control
This paper deals with three basic issues in Islamic banking: First, how the profit sharing ratios in mudaraba contracts are in principle determined? Second, do the actual sharing ratios result in an equitable division of profit between the banks on the one hand and the depositors on the other? Finally, can the central bank use the profit sharing ratio along with the rate of interest for credit control so as to mitigate leverage lure in a dual banking system? The paper provides an explanation as answer to the first question. The response to the second is negative but positive to the third. It suggests a policy tool the central banks can possibly use to prevent the sort of credit turmoil as the world is facing today in 2008 because of leverage lure. The tool may also help improve return to investors and thus establish some equity in the distribution of profits.
|Date of creation:||14 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2008|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Synposium on Islamic banking and Finance, Melbourne University Australia (2009): pp. 1-18|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2002. "Mudaraba as a mode of finance in Islamic banking: theory, practice and problems," MPRA Paper 2951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008.
"Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking,"
8130, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Apr 2008.
- Zubair Hasan, 2008. "Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 69-81, April.
- Lin, Chung-cheng & Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong, 2002. "Profit sharing as a worker discipline device," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 815-828, November.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2005. "Islamic banking at the crossroads: theory versus practice," MPRA Paper 2821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 1985. "Determination of Profit and Loss Sharing Ratios in Interest-Free Business Finance," MPRA Paper 3013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.