Islamic Banks: Profit sharing, equity, leverage lure and credit control
This paper deals with three basic issues in Islamic banking: First, how the profit sharing ratios in mudaraba contracts are in principle determined? Second, do the actual sharing ratios result in an equitable division of profit between the banks on the one hand and the depositors on the other? Finally, can the central bank use the profit sharing ratio along with the rate of interest for credit control so as to mitigate leverage lure in a dual banking system? The paper provides an explanation as answer to the first question. The response to the second is negative but positive to the third. It suggests a policy tool the central banks can possibly use to prevent the sort of credit turmoil as the world is facing today in 2008 because of leverage lure. The tool may also help improve return to investors and thus establish some equity in the distribution of profits.
|Date of creation:||14 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2008|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Synposium on Islamic banking and Finance, Melbourne University Australia (2009): pp. 1-18|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Chung-cheng & Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong, 2002. "Profit sharing as a worker discipline device," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 815-828, November.
- Zubair Hasan, 2008.
"Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking,"
International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 69-81, April.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008. "Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking," MPRA Paper 8130, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Apr 2008.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2005. "Islamic banking at the crossroads: theory versus practice," MPRA Paper 2821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 1985. "Determination of Profit and Loss Sharing Ratios in Interest-Free Business Finance," MPRA Paper 3013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2002. "Mudaraba as a mode of finance in Islamic banking: theory, practice and problems," MPRA Paper 2951, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)