Trade imbalance in international message telephone services
An econometric model is estimated to identify determinants of trade imbalance in international message telephone services markets. Results indicate that asymmetric market structure is important in explaining bilateral market imbalances for high income country pairs. For low and high income country pairs, GDP per capita is the dominant cause of traffic imbalances. The findings suggest that telecommunications liberalization policies are effective in reducing distortions in international traffic flows and settlement payments. However, liberalization should be accompanied by developmental programmes that enhance income per capita and telecommunications network investment in developing countries. Such programmes may be effective in providing a more equitable distribution of the gains from telecommunications reform across countries.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Economics 32 (2000): pp. 1311-1321|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo T. Spiller & Carlo G. Cardilli, 1997. "The Frontier of Telecommunications Deregulation: Small Countries Leading the Pack," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 127-138, Fall.
- Gary Madden & Scott J. Savage, 2000.
"Market Structure, Competition, and Pricing in United States International Telephone Service Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 291-296, May.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 2000. "Market structure, competition, and pricing in United States international telephone service markets," MPRA Paper 11161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bewley, Ronald & Fiebig, Denzil G, 1988. "Estimation of Price Elasticities for an International Telephone Demand Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 393-409, June.
- Lago, Armando M, 1970. "Demand Forecasting Models of International Telecommunications and their Policy Implications," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 6-21, November.
- Cheong, Ken & Mullins, Mark, 1991. "International telephone service imbalances : Accounting rates and regulatory policy," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 107-118, April.
- Schankerman, Mark, 1996. "Symmetric regulation for competitive telecommunications," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-23, March.
- Hakim, Sam Ramsey & Lu, Ding, 1993. "Monopolistic settlement agreements in international telecommunications," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 145-157, July.
- Yun, Kyoung-Lim & Choi, Hyun-Woo & Ahn, Byong-Hun, 1997. "The accounting revenue division in international telecommunications: Conflicts and inefficiencies," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 71-92, March.
- Acton, Jan Paul & Vogelsang, Ingo, 1992. "Telephone Demand over the Atlantic: Evidence from Country-Pair Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 305-23, September.
- Rea, John D & Lage, Gerald M, 1978. "Estimates of Demand Elasticities for International Telecommunications Services," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 363-81, June.
- Leonard Waverman & Esen Sirel, 1997. "European Telecommunications Markets on the Verge of Full Liberalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 113-126, Fall.
- Ergas, Henry & Paterson, Paul, 1991. "International telecommunications settlement arrangements : An unsustainable inheritance?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-48, February.
- anonymous, 1978. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(9), pages 919-919, May.
- Hensher, David A, 1986. "Privatisation: An Interpretative Essay," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(47), pages 147-74, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.