Understanding European Union international message telephone services demand
This study provides a contemporary understanding of demand relations in European Union (EU) international message telephone service (IMTS) markets prior to full liberalization at January 1 1998. Point-to-point demand equations that relate IMTS demand to prices, income, population and distance are estimated on bilateral market data for ten EU countries from 1990 to 1995. Model estimates suggest price elasticities of outgoing and incoming demand between 20.175 and 20.456, and 20.215 and 20.674, respectively. These elasticity estimates provide an empirical base from which to calculate welfare gains from the full deregulation of EU IMTS markets after 1998.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Information Ecnonomics and Policy 13 (2001): pp. 127-136|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acton, Jan Paul & Vogelsang, Ingo, 1992. "Telephone Demand over the Atlantic: Evidence from Country-Pair Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 305-23, September.
- Rea, John D & Lage, Gerald M, 1978. "Estimates of Demand Elasticities for International Telecommunications Services," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 363-81, June.
- Kiessling, T & Blondeel, Y, 1998. "The EU regulatory framework in telecommunications: A critical analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 571-592, August.
- Lago, Armando M, 1970. "Demand Forecasting Models of International Telecommunications and their Policy Implications," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 6-21, November.
- anonymous, 1978. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(9), pages 919-919, May.
- George Ford & John Jackson, 2004. "Demand elasticities for international message telephone service," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(14), pages 1523-1527.
- Hackl, Peter & Westlund, Anders H., 1995. "On price elasticities of international telecommunication demand," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 27-36, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10918. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.