Regulation and international telecommunications pricing behaviour
Recent technology change and market liberalization have substantially reduced the costs of providing international message telephone services (IMTS). However, the full extent of these cost reductions have generally not been reflected in lower prices. This paper reviews the recent literature on international telecommunications markets, and examines regulation and IMTS pricing behaviour. Particular attention is given to the accounting rate system (ARS), uniform settlement policies, and asymmetric competition. Several market behaviour scenarios are described where regulation has resulted in carriers implementing inefficient pricing rules for both accounting and collection rates. Finally, economic and political strategies are put forward that could supplant the current outmoded and uneconomic ARS, and bring about the full benefits of a freely functioning marketplace to telecommunications users.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Industrial and Corporate Change 1.10(2001): pp. 247-265|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frieden, Rob, 1993. "International toll revenue division : Tackling the inequities and inefficiencies," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 221-233, April.
- Scanlan, Mark, 1998. "Using call-back to demonstrate the discriminatory nature of the proportionate return rule," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 913-930, December.
- Oecd, 1997. "New Technologies and their Impact on the Accounting Rate System," OECD Digital Economy Papers 28, OECD Publishing.
- Ergas, Henry & Paterson, Paul, 1991. "International telecommunications settlement arrangements : An unsustainable inheritance?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-48, February.
- Cheong, Ken & Mullins, Mark, 1991. "International telephone service imbalances : Accounting rates and regulatory policy," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 107-118, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.