The Impact of Derivatives Usage on Firm Value: Evidence from Greece
This paper presents evidence on the use of derivative contracts in the risk management process of Greek non-financial firms and its potential impact on firm value. The sample of the research consists of 81 Greek non-financial firms with exposure to financial risks that are listed in the Athens Stock Exchange and have their annual report published according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (I.F.R.S) for the years 2004-2006. The subject of investigation is whether hedging with derivatives materially increases firm value as many related research has proven, or whether hedging does not affect firm value and can be attributed to managerial or other motives. Having used Tobin’s Q as a proxy for firm value a positive and significant effect of hedging on it is verified, 4.6% of firm value on average, not only concerning the general use of derivatives, but also the use of foreign exchange derivatives and interest rate derivatives in particular. Controlling for managerial motives does not change the sign of the hedging premium, nor its magnitude.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1991.
"Forward Contracts and Firm Value: Investment Incentive and Contracting Effects,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 519-532, December.
- Bessembinder, H., 1989. "Forward Contracts And Firm Value: Investment Incentive And Contracting Effects," Papers 89-06, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1998.
"How Costly is Financial (Not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1443-1493, October.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1997. "How Costly is Financial (not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed," NBER Working Papers 6145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang Dan & Hong Gu & Kuan Xu, 2005. "The Impact of Hedging on Stock Return and Firm Value: New Evidence from Canadian Oil and Gas Companies," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive hedging, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Niclas Hagelin & Martin Holmén & John D. Knopf & Bengt Pramborg, 2007. "Managerial Stock Options and the Hedging Premium," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(4), pages 721-741.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gerald D. Gay & Jouahn Nam, 1998. "The Underinvestment Problem and Corporate Derivatives Use," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(4), Winter.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Conrad, Jennifer, 2006.
"The Effects of Derivatives on Firm Risk and Value,"
9831, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Jul 2008.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
0307003, EconWPA, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, 03.
- Allayannis, George & Weston, James P, 2001. "The Use of Foreign Currency Derivatives and Firm Market Value," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 243-76.
- Yanbo Jin & Philippe Jorion, 2006. "Firm Value and Hedging: Evidence from U.S. Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 893-919, 04.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1998.
"Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1213-1243, 08.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1998. "Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-278, University of California at Berkeley.
- John R. Graham & Clifford W. Smith, 1999. "Tax Incentives to Hedge," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2241-2262, December.
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2001.
"Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation,"
0108002, EconWPA, revised 10 Aug 2001.
- Bartram, S.M., 2000. "Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation," Papers 00-58, Southern California - School of Business Administration.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Peter J. DaDalt & Jeffrey R. Donaldson & Jacqueline L. Garner, 2003. "Will Any "q" Do?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(4), pages 535-551.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-54, September.
- John R. Graham & Daniel A. Rogers, 2002. "Do Firms Hedge in Response to Tax Incentives?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 815-839, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10947. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.