Location Decisions in a Natural Resource Model of Cournot Competition
This article focuses on the location decision of firms when competing in a spatial Cournot duopoly. Our original contribution is that firms are dependent on a natural resource input, which is assumed to be located in one of the extremes of the market, to be able to produce the output sought by the consumers, and that natural resource is controlled by an independent monopolist. We solve a three stage location game, where in the first stage downstream firms choose their location, and in the next stages upstream and downstream choose how many quantities they sell in the market, assuming that downstream firms must sell their product in all points of the linear city. We conclude that downstream firms agglomerate independently of the unit input transportation cost. In addition, increases in the unit transportation cost bring the plants closer to the natural resource location. Moreover, the upstream firm loses more profit than the downstream firms when the input transportation conditions deteriorate. When we consider the problem of a social planner, we conclude that the location that firms choose is nearly the same than the location that maximizes total welfare in the economy.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hackner, Jonas, 2003.
"Vertical Integration and Competition Policy,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 213-22, September.
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996.
"Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling was Almost Right,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1446, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1998. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 76-102, January.
- Andreas IRMEN & Jean-François THISSE, 1996. "Competition in Multi-Characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9613, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- IRMEN, Andreas & THISSE, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: hotelling was almost right," CORE Discussion Papers 1997053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Irmen, A. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: Hotelling was almost right," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1305, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2013.
"Models of spatial competition: A critical review,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(4), pages 851-871, November.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2011. "Models of Spatial Competition: a Critical Review," FEP Working Papers 411, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2011. "Models of Spatial Competition: A critical review," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1518, European Regional Science Association.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Rajesh K. Aggarwal & Andrew A. Samwick, 1999.
"Executive Compensation, Strategic Competition, and Relative Performance Evaluation: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 1999-2043, December.
- Rajesh Aggarwal & Andrew A. Samwick, 1996. "Executive Compensation, Strategic Competition, and Relative Performance Evaluation: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koji Ishibashi, 2001. "Strategic delegation under quality competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 73(1), pages 25-56, February.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1985. "Managerial incentives as a strategic variable in duopolistic environment," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 245-253, June.
- José María Chamorro Rivas, 2000. "Spatial dispersion in cournot competition," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 145-152.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Ramer, Roald, 1997. "Location, Location, Location," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 102-127, November.
- Colangelo, Giuseppe, 1995. "Vertical vs. Horizontal Integration: Pre-emptive Merging," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 323-37, September.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Shimizu, Daisuke, 2005. "Spatial Cournot competition and economic welfare: a note," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 658-670, November.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0383, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Paula Sarmento, 2012. "Spatial Competition and Firms’ Location Decisions under Cost Uncertainty," FEP Working Papers 445, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Huck, Steffen & Müller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2000.
"Strategic delegation in experimental markets,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,39, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Steffen Huck & Wieland Müller & Hans-Theo Norman, 2000. "Strategic Delegation in Experimental Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 290, CESifo Group Munich.
- Huck, S. & Müller, W. & Normann, H.T., 2004. "Strategic delegation in experimental markets," Other publications TiSEM 64e031eb-d6bb-4b12-8b1e-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989.
"Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan H. & THISSE, Jacques-François & WESKAMP, Anita, . "Spatial discrimination. Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP 846, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gupta, Barnali & Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 1997. "Spatial Cournot competition and agglomeration in a model of location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 261-282, June.
- Aiura, Hiroshi & Sato, Yasuhiro, 2008. "Welfare properties of spatial competition with location-dependent costs," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 32-48, January.
- Anderson, Simon P & Neven, Damien J, 1991. "Cournot Competition Yields Spatial Agglomeration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 793-808, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.