Bureaucracy and Pro-poor Change
This paper takes a political economy perspective in analysing the nature and causes on the decline in bureaucratic conduct. Section 1 lays out the details of this structure. Based on a logical model which places the bureaucracy within the larger context of the objective function of the state, the nature of the political process, the degree of centralisation and fragmentation of the bureaucratic structure and processes for monitoring and accountability of the bureaucracy, this model provides the basis for subsequent analysis. Section 2 provides a historical overview with regard to changes in the bureaucratic and political structure and the impact it had on the above mentioned balance between bureaucratic conduct and political compulsions. Section 3 then analyses the consequences on service delivery that this systematic weakening of the bureaucratic structure has had. Section 4 then critically assesses some of the recent attempts at bureaucratic reform in the light of the framework developed in Section 1. The conclusion then summarises the paper and draws implications for pro-poor change of the structure and conduct of the bureaucratic structure in Pakistan
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006.
"Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan : The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22224, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan: The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(3), pages 383-415.
- Siddiqui, Rizwana & Kemal, A.R., 2002. "Remittances, trade liberalisation, and poverty in Pakistan: The role of excluded variables in poverty change analysis," MPRA Paper 4228, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2006.
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan: The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:1, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Saeed Shafqat, 1999. "Pakistani Bureaucracy: Crisis of Governance and Prospects of Reform," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 995-1017.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2006:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.