A Study on Rural labor Markets, Rural Nonfarm Enterprises and Agrarian Reform in the Philippines
The Philippine agriculture sector’s limited capacity to absorb the existing rural labor force has led to the demand for nonfarm employment in the rural labor market. Despite its shortcomings, agriculture still remains a vital component to the economy. This paper attempts to bring together and review studies concerning farm and nonfarm linkages, intersectoral linkages and the rural labor markets. It focuses on existing studies analyzing the relationship between farm and nonfarm activities, the nature, structure and composition of nonfarm activities and the linkages of rural nonfarm activities with the other sectors of the economy. On the basis of the survey conducted, research gaps on the area have been identified.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartley, Michael J & Mallela, Parthasaradhi, 1977. "The Asymptotic Properties of a Maximum Likelihood Estimator for a Model of Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1205-20, July.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1978. "Rural Wages, Labor Supply, and Land Reform: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 847-61, December.
- Anderson, Dennis & Leiserson, Mark W, 1980. "Rural Nonfarm Employment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(2), pages 227-48, January.
- C. L. G. Bell & P. B. R. Hazell, 1980. "Measuring the Indirect Effects of an Agricultural Investment Project on Its Surrounding Region," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(1), pages 75-86.
- Chinn, Dennis L, 1979. "Rural Poverty and the Structure of Farm Household Income in Developing Countries: Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 283-301, January.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Roell, Ailsa, 1983. "Rural growth linkages: household expenditure patterns in Malaysia and Nigeria," Research reports 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Keeley, Michael C, et al, 1978. "The Estimation of Labor Supply Models Using Experimental Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 873-87, December.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter, 1989.
"Agricultural Technology and Farm-Nonfarm Growth Linkages,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(4), December.
- Haggblade, Steven & Hazell, Peter, 1989. "Agricultural technology and farm-nonfarm growth linkages," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 345-364, December.
- Yatchew, Adonis J, 1981. "Further Evidence on "Estimation of a Disequilibrium Aggregate Labor Market."," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(1), pages 142-44, February.
- Yutopoulos, Pan A. & Lau, Lawrence J., 1974. "On modeling the agricultural sector in developing economies : An integrated approach of micro and macroeconomics," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 105-127, September.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Raul V. Fabella, 1990. "Hymer-Resnick and East Asian Industries in Open Rural Economies: Delineation by Seasonal Responses," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 27(1), pages 19-35, June.
- Reyes, Edna A., 1991. "Role of Rural Nonfarm Employment in Philippine Development," Working Papers WP 1991-04, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:wpaper:wp_1991-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.