Does the Philippines Need a Trade Representative Office?
The paper describes the current decisionmaking structure for trade policy formulation in the Philippines and compares it with the systems in selected countries. It cites difficulties in the current set-up, such as: 1) turf mentality among government agencies that tend to paralyze interagency committees in coming up with an overall position that fully acknowledges trade-offs; 2) lack of appreciation of and capacity for trade research that should inform negotiating positions; 3) unclear delineation of authority; 4) lack of suitable mechanisms for consultation and feedback on negotiation progress and impact, not only regarding tariffs but also of other items under discussion. The paper also stresses the crucial role of trade research in supporting negotiations and suggests ways to strengthen capacity in this area.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R., 1997. "table of Contents and Introduction to Representation of Constituent Interests in the Design and Implementation of U.S. Trade Policies: The Sweetland Conference," Working Papers 399, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Assar Lindbeck, 2001. "Economics in Europe," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(1), pages 31-32, 03.
- Meunier, Sophie, 2000. "What Single Voice? European Institutions and EU–U.S. Trade Negotiations," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(01), pages 103-135, December.
- J. M. Finger, 2002. "Institutions and Trade Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2720, April.
- repec:fth:michin:399 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2005-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.