Dependent mixture models: clustering and borrowing information
Most of the Bayesian nonparametric models for non–exchangeable data that are used in applications are based on some extension to the multivariate setting of the Dirichlet process, the best known being MacEachern’s dependent Dirichlet process. A comparison of two recently introduced classes of vectors of dependent nonparametric priors, based on the Dirichlet and the normalized s–stable processes respectively, is provided. These priors are used to define dependent hierarchical mixture models whose distributional properties are investigated. Furthermore, their inferential performance is examined through an extensive simulation study. The models exhibit different features, especially in terms of the clustering behavior and the borrowing of information across studies. Compared to popular Dirichlet process based models, mixtures of dependent normalized s–stable processes turn out to be a valid choice being capable of more effectively detecting the clustering structure featured by the data.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia|
Web page: http://epmq.unipv.eu/site/home.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Lijoi & Ramsés H. Mena & Igor Prünster, 2007. "Bayesian Nonparametric Estimation of the Probability of Discovering New Species," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(4), pages 769-786.
- Petrone, Sonia & Raftery, Adrian E., 1997. "A note on the Dirichlet process prior in Bayesian nonparametric inference with partial exchangeability," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 69-83, November.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2009. "Posterior Analysis for Normalized Random Measures with Independent Increments," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(1), pages 76-97.
- Lijoi, Antonio & Mena, Ramses H. & Prunster, Igor, 2005. "Hierarchical Mixture Modeling With Normalized Inverse-Gaussian Priors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1278-1291, December.
- Hatjispyros, Spyridon J. & Nicoleris, Theodoros & Walker, Stephen G., 2011. "Dependent mixtures of Dirichlet processes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2011-2025, June.
- Antonio Lijoi & Ramsés H. Mena & Igor Prünster, 2007. "Controlling the reinforcement in Bayesian non-parametric mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 715-740.
- Peter Müller & Fernando Quintana & Gary Rosner, 2004. "A method for combining inference across related nonparametric Bayesian models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(3), pages 735-749.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2006. "Conjugacy as a Distinctive Feature of the Dirichlet Process," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(1), pages 105-120.
- Griffiths, R. C. & Milne, R. K., 1978. "A class of bivariate Poisson processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 380-395, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pav:demwpp:demwp0046. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.