Modeling overdispersion with the normalized tempered stable distribution
A multivariate distribution which generalizes the Dirichlet distribution is introduced and its use for modeling overdispersion in count data is discussed. The distribution is constructed by normalizing a vector of independent tempered stable random variables. General formulae for all moments and cross-moments of the distribution are derived and they are found to have similar forms to those for the Dirichlet distribution. The univariate version of the distribution can be used as a mixing distribution for the success probability of a binomial distribution to define an alternative to the well-studied beta-binomial distribution. Examples of fitting this model to simulated and real data are presented.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lijoi, Antonio & Mena, Ramses H. & Prunster, Igor, 2005. "Hierarchical Mixture Modeling With Normalized Inverse-Gaussian Priors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1278-1291, December.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2006. "Conjugacy as a Distinctive Feature of the Dirichlet Process," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(1), pages 105-120.
- Karen J. Palmer & Martin S. Ridout & Byron J. T. Morgan, 2008. "Modelling cell generation times by using the tempered stable distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 57(4), pages 379-397.
- Steven Garren & Richard Smith & Walter Piegorsch, 2001. "Bootstrap goodness-of-fit test for the beta-binomial model," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 561-571.
- Antonio Lijoi & Ramsés H. Mena & Igor Prünster, 2007. "Controlling the reinforcement in Bayesian non-parametric mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 715-740.
- Yu, Chang & Zelterman, Daniel, 2008. "Sums of exchangeable Bernoulli random variables for family and litter frequency data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 1636-1649, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:7:p:2288-2301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.