Modeling overdispersion with the normalized tempered stable distribution
A multivariate distribution which generalizes the Dirichlet distribution is introduced and its use for modeling overdispersion in count data is discussed. The distribution is constructed by normalizing a vector of independent tempered stable random variables. General formulae for all moments and cross-moments of the distribution are derived and they are found to have similar forms to those for the Dirichlet distribution. The univariate version of the distribution can be used as a mixing distribution for the success probability of a binomial distribution to define an alternative to the well-studied beta-binomial distribution. Examples of fitting this model to simulated and real data are presented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karen J. Palmer & Martin S. Ridout & Byron J. T. Morgan, 2008. "Modelling cell generation times by using the tempered stable distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 57(4), pages 379-397.
- Antonio Lijoi & Ramsés H. Mena & Igor Prünster, 2007. "Controlling the reinforcement in Bayesian non-parametric mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 715-740.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2006. "Conjugacy as a Distinctive Feature of the Dirichlet Process," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(1), pages 105-120.
- Steven Garren & Richard Smith & Walter Piegorsch, 2001. "Bootstrap goodness-of-fit test for the beta-binomial model," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 561-571.
- Yu, Chang & Zelterman, Daniel, 2008. "Sums of exchangeable Bernoulli random variables for family and litter frequency data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 1636-1649, January.
- Lijoi, Antonio & Mena, Ramses H. & Prunster, Igor, 2005. "Hierarchical Mixture Modeling With Normalized Inverse-Gaussian Priors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1278-1291, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:7:p:2288-2301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.