Equilibrium is good: Comments on Athukorala and Rajapatirana
This paper explores the 'problem' of the impact of capital inflow on the real exchange rate in countries in Asia and Latin America, as discussed by Athukorala and Rajapatirana. It points out some shortcomings in their characterisation of the data, some inconsistencies in the data as presented, an inconsistency in their discussion of government responses to the problem, and what appear to be errors in the interpretation of the empirical results. It suggests some alternative interpretations of those results before going on to recast the problem as one that is driven by precisely the kinds of government responses to capital flows that the authors appear to support. In particular, the tendency of policy makers to hold real exchange rates away from equilibrium in response to continuously changing circumstances is argued to encourage exchange rate speculation, and thus to contribute to the occurrence of balance of payments crises.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Sarath Rajapatirana, 2003.
"Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate: A Comparative Study of Asia and Latin America,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala & Sarath Rajapatirana, 2003. "Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate: A Comparative Study of Asia and Latin America," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 613-637, 04.
- Mudrajad Kuncoro & Tri Widodo & Ross McLeod, 2009. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 151-176.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ross Mcleod, 2005. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 133-157.
- Williamson, John, 1993. "Democracy and the "Washington consensus"," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1329-1336, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2003-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.