Export of Environmental Goods: India's Potential and Constraints
The increasing awareness of climate change and its impact on overall economic growth has encouraged many countries to pursue environmental friendly production and consumption of goods and services. Based on their comparative advantages, developing countries too are emerging as exporters of environmental goods and services (EGS) along with developed countries. An important question in this context is whether these emerging EGS exporting developing economies are able to realize their export potential fully. Using data between 1996 and 2010, this paper identifies the constraints that make India, which is one of the emerging EGS exporters, not able to realize its export potential of environmental goods (EG). The empirical results show that the growth of India's exports of EG was negatively affected by its ‘behind the border' constraints, such as weak infrastructure and institutions, while the effect of ‘explicit beyond the border' constraints, such as partner-countries' tariff and exchange rate on the exports of EG was relatively small. The reduction of India's trading partners' ‘implicit beyond the border' constraints, such as weak infrastructure and institutions has made significant contribution to India's exports of EG, especially during the period 2005 – 2010.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C, 2002. "Border Effects and the Gravity Equation: Consistent Methods for Estimation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 491-506, December.
- Alan Deardorff, 1998.
"Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?,"
in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 7-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade : Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," Papers 95-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Working Papers 5377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-623, June.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2003. "The proper panel econometric specification of the gravity equation: A three-way model with bilateral interaction effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 571-580, July.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gaëlle BALINEAU & Jaime DE MELO, 2011.
"Stalemate at the Negotiations on Environmental Goods and Services at the Doha Round,"
- Gaëlle BALINEAU & Jaime DE MELO, 2011. "Stalemate at the Negotiations on Environmental Goods and Services at the Doha Round," Working Papers P28, FERDI.
- Khan, Imran Ullah & Kalirajan, Kaliappa, 2011.
"The impact of trade costs on exports: An empirical modeling,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1341-1347, May.
- Imran Ullah Khan & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2011. "The Impact of Trade Costs on Exports: An Empirical Modelling," ASARC Working Papers 2011-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1989. "The Generalized Gravity Equation, Monopolistic Competition, and the Factor-Proportions Theory in International Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 143-153, February.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-116, March.
- Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2008. "Gravity model specification and estimation: revisited," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 1037-1039.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:asarcc:2013-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raghbendra Jha)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.