The Challenge of Fiscal Reform in India
This paper argues that the growth performance of the Indian economy, while commendable by the standards of the pre reform period, is not adequate to rid India of the bane of poverty in a short enough time period. Two reasons are identified for this inadequate growth performance viz., low rate of savings and investment and poor productivity of public sector investments. The paper then discusses the design of fiscal policy to help raise the rate of saving and investment and improve the productivity of public expenditures.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 2001.
NBER Working Papers
8189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar, 1983. "How much redistribution is possible through commodity taxes?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 89-101, February.
- Jha,R., 2000.
"Reducing Poverty and Inequality in India: Has Liberalization Helped?,"
204, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Jha, Raghbendra, 2002. "Reducing Poverty and Inequality in India: Has Liberalization Helped?," Departmental Working Papers 2002-04, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Gaurav Datt, 1999. "Has Poverty Declined since Economic Reforms? Statistical Data Analysis," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-31, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Raghav Gaiha, 2000. "Do Anti-poverty Programmes Reach the Rural Poor in India?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 71-95.
- J. Humberto Lopez & K. Schmidt-Hebbel & Luis Servén, 2000. "How Effective is Fiscal Policy in Raising National Saving?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 226-238, May.
- Jha, Raghbendra, 2001.
"Macroeconomics of Fiscal Policy in Developing Countries,"
Departmental Working Papers
2001-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Jha, Raghbendra, 2001. "Macroeconomics of Fiscal Policy in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Loayza, Norman & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 2000. "What drives private saving around the world?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2309, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:asarcc:2001-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raghbendra Jha)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.