On luxury and equilibrium
Building on a class of transcendental preferences for luxury, explicit solutions for price taking behavior and exchange equilibrium are discussed, which share the analytical tractability of Cobb-Douglas models and display positive relevance, along the lines discussed by Freixas and Mas-Colell (1987). The monotone comparative statics of the luxury effect is discussed. Pareto sets admit a simple characterization which generalizes the one set forth by Afriat (1987) for Cobb-Douglas exchange economies. Potential lines of progress are envisaged.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via J.F. Kennedy 6, 43100 PARMA (Italy)|
Web page: http://economia.unipr.it/de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hurwicz,Leonid & Reiter,Stanley, 2008.
"Designing Economic Mechanisms,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521724104.
- Hurwicz,Leonid & Reiter,Stanley, 2006. "Designing Economic Mechanisms," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521836418.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1976. "Regular Differentiable Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 280-287, May.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Anderton, Charles H. & Carter, John R., 2008. "Vulnerable trade: The dark side of an Edgeworth box," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 422-432, November.
- Charles Anderton & John Carter, 2004. "Vulnerable Trade: The Dark Side of an Edgeworth Box," Working Papers 0411, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel & Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "A Survey of Functional Forms in the Economic Analysis of Production," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters,in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 4 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Andrea Mantovi, 2013. "On the commutativity of expansion and substitution effects," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 83-105, September.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275.
- Milgrom, Paul & Shannon, Chris, 1994. "Monotone Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 157-180, January.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991. "Monotone Comparative Statics," Papers 11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
- Robert Chambers & Thomas Mitchell, 2001. "Homotheticity and Non-Radial Changes," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 31-39, January.
- Yves Balasko & Mich Tvede, 2010. "General equilibrium without utility functions: how far to go?," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 45(1), pages 201-225, October.
- Yves Balasko & Mich Tvede, 2009. "General Equilibrium without Utility Functions: How far to go?," Discussion Papers 09-17, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Chakrabarty, Manisha & Hildenbrand, Werner, 2011. "Engel's Law Reconsidered," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 289-299.
- Quah, John K. -H., 2003. "Market demand and comparative statics when goods are normal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 317-333, June.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1976. "The Demand Theory of the Weak Axiom of Revealed Preference," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 971-978, September.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1972. "Market Excess Demand Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 549-563, May.
- Binmore, Ken, 2007. "Playing for Real: A Text on Game Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195300574.
- Edgeworth, Francis Ysidro, 1881. "Mathematical Psychics," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number edgeworth1881.
- A. Mantovi, 2013. "Differential duality," Economics Department Working Papers 2013-EP05, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Freixas, Xavier & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1987. "Engel Curves Leading to the Weak Axiom in the Aggregate," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 515-531, May.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1985. "Distribution of Income and the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 109-127, January.
- J. Aitchison & J. A. C. Brown, 1954. "A Synthesis of Engel Curve Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 35-46. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:par:dipeco:2014-ep02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Lasagni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.