Discrimination and Equality of Opportunity
This paper presents a measure of social discrimination based on the principle of equality of opportunity. According to this principle we only have to care about the inequality derived from people’s differential circumstances (and not about outcome differences due to people’s diverse degree of effort). We propose approaching the measurement of group discrimination as the “welfare loss” attributed to the inequality between social groups of similar characteristics. We also provide an empirical application to the analysis of gender discrimination in the European labour market. We estimate wage equations to breakdown wage gaps and to control for extra individual heterogeneity. Given these predictions, we compute the index of welfare loss due to gender discrimination.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 8913
Fax: + 34 954 34 9339
Web page: http://www.upo.es/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1978. "Measures of relative equality and their meaning in terms of social welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-80, June.
- Foster, James E., 1983. "An axiomatic characterization of the Theil measure of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 105-121, October.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006.
"Compensation and responsibility,"
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Kuga, Kiyoshi, 1981. "Additivity and the entropy concept: An axiomatic approach to inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 131-143, August.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 2002. "Opportunity egalitarianism and income inequality," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-64, September.
- Antonio Villar Notario & José María Tomás, 1992.
"La medición del bienestar mediante indicadores de "renta real": caracterización de un índice de bienestar tipo Theil,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- José María Tomás Adrian & Antonio Villar, 1993. "La medición del bienestar mediante indicadores de renta real: caracterización de un índice de bienestar tipo Theil," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(1), pages 165-173, January.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Mora, Ricardo, 2003. "Gender segregation : from birth to occupation," UC3M Working papers. Economics we033612, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Villar Antonio, 2005. "On the Welfare Evaluation of Income and Opportunity," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 1995. "Income distribution and social welfare: a review essay," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 19(1), pages 3-34, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpaper:09.05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.