Limitations of the relative standard deviation of win percentages for measuring competitive balance in sports leagues
The relative standard deviation of win percentages, the most widely used measure of within-season competitive balance, has an upper bound which is very sensitive to variation in the numbers of teams and games played. Taking into account this upper bound provides additional insight into comparisons of competitive balance across leagues or over time.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 56, Dunedin|
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodney Fort & James Quirk, 1995. "Cross-subsidization, Incentives, and Outcomes in Professional Team Sports Leagues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(3), pages 1265-1299, September.
- P. Owen & Michael Ryan & Clayton Weatherston, 2007. "Measuring Competitive Balance in Professional Team Sports Using the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 31(4), pages 289-302, December.
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 2002.
"Inequality foundations of concentration measures: An application to the Hannah-Kay indices,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 311-316.
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 1999. "Inequality Foundations of Concentration Measures: An Application to the Hannah-Kay Indices," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 9901, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Kelly Goossens, 2006. "Competitive Balance in European Football - Comparison by Adapting Measures: National Measure of Seasonal Imbalance and Top 3," IASE Conference Papers 0620, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Joshua Utt & Rodney Fort, 2002. "Pitfalls to Measuring Competitive Balance With Gini Coefficients," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 3(4), pages 367-373, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.