Limitations of the relative standard deviation of win percentages for measuring competitive balance in sports leagues
The relative standard deviation of win percentages, widely used to measure competitive balance, has an upper bound which varies with the numbers of teams and games played. Accounting for this upper bound provides additional insights into competitive balance comparisons.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodney Fort & James Quirk, 1995. "Cross-subsidization, Incentives, and Outcomes in Professional Team Sports Leagues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(3), pages 1265-1299, September.
- Kelly Goossens, 2006. "Competitive Balance in European Football - Comparison by Adapting Measures: National Measure of Seasonal Imbalance and Top 3," IASE Conference Papers 0620, International Association of Sports Economists.
- P. Owen & Michael Ryan & Clayton Weatherston, 2007. "Measuring Competitive Balance in Professional Team Sports Using the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 31(4), pages 289-302, December.
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 2002.
"Inequality foundations of concentration measures: An application to the Hannah-Kay indices,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(4), pages 311-316.
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 1999. "Inequality Foundations of Concentration Measures: An Application to the Hannah-Kay Indices," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 9901, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Salas, Rafael & Bajo, Oscar, 1999. "Inequality foundations of concentration measures: an application to the hannah-kay indices," UC3M Working papers. Economics 6137, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Joshua Utt & Rodney Fort, 2002. "Pitfalls to Measuring Competitive Balance With Gini Coefficients," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(4), pages 367-373, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)