Positional equity and equal sacrifice: design principles for an EU-wide income tax?
Conditions are explored under which a putative EU-wide layer of income tax, additional to the national income taxes of the Member States, would: (a) be horizontally equitable, taking the equals in different EU counties to be those at the same percentile points in the country-specific income distributions, assuming these to differ in logarithms by location and scale only; (b) satisfy an extended equity criterion, that of equal progression among equals; and (c) engender equal sacrifices from the citizens of each country in terms of rank-dependent and utilitarian social evaluation functions. Numerical simulations are undertaken to explore the form that such an EU-wide income tax would take and the properties it would have.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 56, Dunedin|
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cholezas, Ioannis & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2007. "Earnings Inequality in Europe: Structure and Patterns of Inter-Temporal Changes," IZA Discussion Papers 2636, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Young, H Peyton, 1990. "Progressive Taxation and Equal Sacrifice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 253-266, March.
- Maria Cubel & Peter Lambert, 2002.
"Progression-neutral income tax reforms and horizontal inequity,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 1-8, December.
- Maria Cubel & Peter Lambert, 2002. "Progression-neutral income tax reforms and horizontal inequity," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-8, December.
- Peter J. Lambert, 2004. "Income Taxation and Equity," Working Papers 2004/4, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Udo Ebert & Peter J. Lambert, 2004.
"Horizontal Equity and Progression When Equivalence Scales Are Not Constant,"
Public Finance Review,
, vol. 32(4), pages 426-440, July.
- Udo Ebert & Peter J Lambert, "undated". "Horizontal Equity and Progession when Equivalence Scales are not Constant," Discussion Papers 02/02, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Lambert, Peter J. & Millimet, Daniel L. & Slottje, Daniel, 2003. "Inequality aversion and the natural rate of subjective inequality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1061-1090, May.
- Peter J. Lambert, 2004. "Income Taxation and Equity," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 39-54, July.
- Berrebi, Z. M. & Silber, Jacques, 1981. "Weighting income ranks and levels : A Multiple-Parameter Generalization For Absolute and Relative Inequality Indices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 391-397.
- Cnossen,Sijbren, 2002. "Tax policy in the european union, A review of issues and options," Research Memorandum 023, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1988. "A controversial proposal concerning inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 381-397, April.
- Peter J. Lambert & Helen T. Naughton, 2006.
"The Equal Sacrifice Principle Revisited,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2006-4, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Jun 2006.
- Udo Ebert, 2000. "Equivalizing Incomes: A Normative Approach," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(6), pages 619-640, December.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- John Roemer, 2006. "Review essay, “The 2006 world development report: Equity and development”," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(2), pages 233-244, August.
- Dardanoni, Valentino & Lambert, Peter J., 2002. "Progressivity comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 99-122, October.
- Sijbren Cnossen, 2002. "Tax Policy in the European Union: A Review of Issues and Options," CESifo Working Paper Series 758, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.