Modelling New Zealand mortgage interest rates?
Determinants of New Zealand mortgage interest rates are examined, including how changes in the OCR are transmitted through the wholesale cost of funds to mortgage rates. Mortgage rates are modelled as a mark-up over banks' marginal funding cost. The results suggest that banks frequently diverge from a simple marginal cost-pricing model. Marginal cost pricing of mortgages appears to hold only in the long run. Floating mortgage rates and short-term fixed rates are closest to showing a full pass-through of changes in marginal costs.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leo Krippner & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2009. "Forecasting New Zealand's economic growth using yield curve information," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/18, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Gropp, Reint & Kok, Christoffer & Lichtenberger, Jung-Duk, 2007.
"The dynamics of bank spreads and financial structure,"
Working Paper Series
0714, European Central Bank.
- Reint Gropp & Christoffer Kok & Jung-Duk Lichtenberger, 2014. "The Dynamics of Bank Spreads and Financial Structure," Quarterly Journal of Finance (QJF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(04), pages 1450014-1-1.
- Anindya Banerjee & Victor Bystrov & Paul Mizen, 2013.
"How Do Anticipated Changes to Short‐Term Market Rates Influence Banks' Retail Interest Rates? Evidence from the Four Major Euro Area Economies,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(7), pages 1375-1414, October.
- Banerjee, A. & Bystrov, V. & Mizen, P., 2012. "How do anticipated changes to short-term market rates influence banks' retail interest rates? Evidence from the four major euro area economies," Working papers 361, Banque de France.
- Leo Krippner, 2010. "Connecting the dots: a yield curve perspective on New Zealand’s interest rates," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 73, September.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Borag[caron]an Aruoba, S., 2006.
"The macroeconomy and the yield curve: a dynamic latent factor approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 309-338.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Diebold,Rudebusch,Aruoba 2006 factor model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00047, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & S. Boragan Aruoba, 2004. "The Macroeconomy and the Yield Curve: A Dynamic Latent Factor Approach," NBER Working Papers 10616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iva Cecchin, 2011. "Mortgage Rate Pass-Through in Switzerland," Working Papers 2011-08, Swiss National Bank.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbans:2012/10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.