Risk, return, and beyond: A conceptual analysis of some factors influencing New Zealanders’ investment decisions
This note presents the data and technical detail underlying a new set of estimates of gross asset returns since 1989 for a wide range of assets relevant to New Zealanders. The estimates have an economy-wide lens. An individual investor is likely to be interested in the realised risk and return they can achieve, as determined by a range of additional factors like taxes or personal circumstances. The analysis presented here is designed to illustrate conceptually the construction of a diversified portfolio and the practical advantage in doing so in a world of considerable uncertainty.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H. Cochrane, 1999.
"Portfolio Advice for a Multifactor World,"
CRSP working papers
491, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- J. Tobin, 1958. "Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 65-86.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2010.
"Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2010-06, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2011. "Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study," NBER Working Papers 16845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- John H. Cochrane, 2011. "Presidential Address: Discount Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1047-1108, 08.
- Sharpe, William F., 1974. "Imputing Expected Security Returns from Portfolio Composition," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 463-472, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbans:2012/07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.