Introductory Price as a Signal of Cost in a Model of Repeat Business
This paper analyzes a bargaining model with incomplete information in which the time between offers is an endogenous stra tegic variable. It finds equilibria involving a delay to agreement th at is attributable to the use of strategic time delay by bargainers t o signal their relative strength. Under some specifications of the pa rameters, delay is present in the unique sequential equilibrium whose beliefs satisfy one intuitive restriction. This delay does not vanis h as the minimal time between offers becomes small. Copyright 1987 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Mar 1987|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- repec:bla:restud:v:54:y:1987:i:3:p:365-84 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kyle Bagwell, 1986.
"Informational Product Differentiation as a Barrier to Entry,"
711, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bagwell, Kyle, 1990. "Informational product differentiation as a barrier to entry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 207-223, June.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1998.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
237, David K. Levine.
- Kyle Bagwell & Garey Ramey, 1987.
"Advertising and Limit Pricing,"
729, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984.
"Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Irvine, F Owen, Jr, 1981. "An Optimal Middleman Firm Price Adjustment Policy: The "Short-Run Inventory-Based Pricing Policy."," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 245-69, April.
- repec:bla:restud:v:44:y:1977:i:3:p:393-406 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kyle Bagwell, 1987.
"Introductory Price as a Signal of Cost in a Model of Repeat Business,"
722, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Shilony, Yuval, 1977. "Mixed pricing in oligopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 373-388, April.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:99:y:1984:i:3:p:489-505 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- repec:bla:restud:v:51:y:1984:i:3:p:353-68 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nwu:cmsems:722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.