The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment On New Firm Survival in the UK: Evidence For Static v. Dynamic Industries
The paper examines the impact of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) on the survival of business start-ups. FDI has potential for both negative displacement/competition effects as well as positive knowledge spillover and linkage effects on new ventures. We find a net positive effect for the whole dataset. However, a major contribution of the paper is to outline and test an argument that this effect is likely to be comprised of a net negative effect in dynamic industries (high churn: firm entry plus exit relative to the stock of firms) alongside a net positive effect in static (low churn) industries. We find evidence to support this view. The results identify new effects of globalisation on enterprise development with associated challenges for industrial policy.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holger G–rg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Multinational Companies, Technology Spillovers and Plant Survival,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(4), pages 581-595, December.
- Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Multinational Companies, Technology Spillovers, and Plant Survival," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 366, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Nigel Spence, 1998. "Entry and exit from manufacturing industries: symmetry, turbulence and simultaneity - some empirical evidence from Greek manufacturing industries, 1982-1988," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 245-262, February.
- Girma, Sourafel & Gorg, Holger, 2007.
"Evaluating the foreign ownership wage premium using a difference-in-differences matching approach,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 97-112, May.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2006. "Evaluating the Foreign Ownership Wage Premium Using a Difference-in-Differences Matching Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5788, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2006. "Evaluating the foreign ownership wage premium using a difference-indifferences matching approach," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp165, IIIS.
- Burke, Andrew E & FitzRoy, Felix R & Nolan, Michael A, 2000. " When Less Is More: Distinguishing between Entrepreneurial Choice and Performance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(5), pages 565-587, December.
- Burke, Andrew E. & To, Ted, 2001. "Can reduced entry barriers worsen market performance? A model of employee entry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 695-704, April.
- Rajshree Agarwal & Barry L. Bayus, 2002. "The Market Evolution and Sales Takeoff of Product Innovations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1024-1041, August.
- Johnson, Peter & Parker, Simon, 1994. "The Interrelationships between Births and Deaths," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 283-290, August.
- Audretsch, David B., 1995. "Innovation, growth and survival," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 441-457, December.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-245, September.
- Agarwal, Rajshree & Bayus, Barry L., 2002. "The Market Evolution and Sales Take-Off of Product Innovations," Working Papers 02-0104, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgep:07/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.