Lead-Lag Relationships and Institutional Ownership: Evidence from an Embryonic Equity Market
Using daily, stock level data for the early development of the equity market of Trinidad and Tobago over the period 2001 to 2008, this paper investigates the influence of the degree of institutional ownership of stock on lead-lag, stock return relationships. Using a VAR modelling approach to identify cross autocorrelation between more and less institutionally favoured stocks and controlling for a range of other possible conditioning influences (firm size, analyst coverage and liquidity), the study finds strong evidence of institutionally owned stocks leading the returns of stocks held more by individual investors.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cfcm/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W & MacKinlay, A Craig, 1990.
"When Are Contrarian Profits Due to Stock Market Overreaction?,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 175-205.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "When are Contrarian Profits Due to Stock Market Overreaction?," NBER Working Papers 2977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-., 1989. "When are contrarian profits due to stock market overreaction?," Working papers 3008-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam & Lipson, Marc L, 1994. "Transactions, Volume, and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 631-51.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2003. "Emerging markets finance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 3-56, February.
- Kewei Hou, 2007. "Industry Information Diffusion and the Lead-lag Effect in Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1113-1138.
- Jennings, Robert H & Starks, Laura T & Fellingham, John C, 1981. "An Equilibrium Model of Asset Trading with Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 143-61, March.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1994. " Market Statistics and Technical Analysis: The Role of Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 153-81, March.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Ozoguz, Arzu & Tan, Hongping & Wirjanto, Tony S., 2012. "Do foreigners facilitate information transmission in emerging markets?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 209-227.
- Martin T. Bohl & Janusz Brzeszczynski, 2005.
"Do Institutional Investors Destabilize Stock Prices? Evidence from an Emerging Market,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0501, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Brzeszczynski, Janusz, 2006. "Do institutional investors destabilize stock prices? evidence from an emerging market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 370-383, October.
- Naes, Randi & Skjeltorp, Johannes A., 2003. "Equity trading by institutional investors: Evidence on order submission strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1779-1817, September.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2002. "Research in emerging markets finance: looking to the future," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1998. "Alternative factor specifications, security characteristics, and the cross-section of expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 345-373, September.
- Badrinath, S G & Kale, Jayant R & Noe, Thomas H, 1995. "Of Shepherds, Sheep, and the Cross-autocorrelations in Equity Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(2), pages 401-30.
- Chuang, Wen-I & Lee, Bong-Soo, 2011. "The informational role of institutional investors and financial analysts in the market," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 465-493, August.
- Tarun Chordia & Bhaskaran Swaminathan, 2000. "Trading Volume and Cross-Autocorrelations in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 913-935, 04.
- Gebka, Bartosz & Henke, Harald & Bohl, Martin T., 2006. "Institutional trading and stock return autocorrelation: Empirical evidence on Polish pension fund investors' behavior," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 233-244, March.
- Brennan, Michael J & Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Swaminathan, Bhaskaran, 1993. "Investment Analysis and the Adjustment of Stock Prices to Common Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 799-824.
- Hiemstra, Craig & Jones, Jonathan D, 1994. " Testing for Linear and Nonlinear Granger Causality in the Stock Price-Volume Relation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1639-64, December.
- Rubin, Amir, 2007. "Ownership level, ownership concentration and liquidity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 219-248, August.
- Hameed, Allaudeen, 1997. "Time-Varying Factors and Cross-Autocorrelations in Short-Horizon Stock Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 435-58, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notcfc:13/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.