Sums and Products of Indirect Utility Functions
There are relatively few known demand systems that are theoretically satisfactory and practically implementable. This paper investigates building more complex demand systems from simpler known ones by considering sums and products of basic utility functions, an approach that does not seem to have been exploited previously in the literature. Some of the systems that result are interesting and usefully extend the range of available functions. Even the simpler systems that are not sufficiently flexible for the analysis of real world consumption data may still be useful for applied general equilibrium studies and for theoretical explication. Although some systems, instead of being new, turn out to be rediscoveries of already known ones, the way in which they arise as combinations of simple components is of interest in itself in showing them as sub sets of wider classes.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 353 1 708 3350
Fax: + 353 1 708 3573
Web page: http://www.nuim.ie/nirsa/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prof. Denis Conniffe, 2002. "A New System of Consumer Demand Equations," NIRSA Working Paper Series 4, National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA), NUI Maynooth, Ireland..
- Datta, Bipasa & Dixon, Huw, 2000. "Linear-homothetic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 55-61, October.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Conniffe, D., 2002. "A New System of Consumer Demand Equations," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1140402, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nir:nirwps:wps06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mary O'Brien)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Mary O'Brien to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.