Generalised Means of Simple Utility Functions with Risk Aversion
The paper examines the properties of a generalised mean of simple utilities each displaying risk aversion, that is, with first derivative positive and second derivative negative. It proves the mean is itself a valid utility function with the appropriate signs for derivatives and investigates risk aversion properties. It shows that simple component utilities, each of which may have quite restricted risk aversion properties, can be parsimoniously combined through the generalised mean formula to give a much more versatile utility function.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Conniffe, 2002.
"Sums and Products of Indirect Utility Functions,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(3), pages 285-295.
- Conniffe, D., 2002. "Sums and Products of Indirect Utility Functions," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1150402, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Maurice J. Roche, 2006. "The equity premium puzzle and decreasing relative risk aversion," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 179-182, May.
- M. J. Roche, 2005. "The equity premium puzzle and decreasing relative risk aversion," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1510205, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Danyang Xie, 2000. "Power Risk Aversion Utility Functions," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 1(2), pages 265-282, November.
- Danyang Xie, 1999. "Power Risk Aversion Utility Functions," CEMA Working Papers 22, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Oct 2000.
- Danyang Xie, 2002. "Power Risk Aversion Utility Functions," International Finance 0207006, EconWPA.
- Conniffe Denis, 2007. "A Note on Generating Globally Regular Indirect Utility Functions," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Meyer, Donald J. & Meyer, Jack, 2005. "Risk preferences in multi-period consumption models, the equity premium puzzle, and habit formation utility," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1497-1515, November.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993. "Standard Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991. "Standard Risk Aversion," NBER Technical Working Papers 0099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Bell & Peter C. Fishburn, 2001. "Strong One-Switch Utility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 601-604, April.
- Caballe, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1996. "Mixed Risk Aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 485-513, November.
- Caballé, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1995. "Mixed Risk Aversion," Working Paper Series 444, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-430, June.
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1987. "Proper Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 143-154, January.
- Gerry Boyle & Denis Conniffe, 2006. "Compatibility of Expected Utility and µ/s Approaches to Risk for a Class of Non Location-Scale Distributions," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1670406, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Nakamura, Yutaka, 1996. "Sumex utility functions," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 39-47, February.
- Prof. Denis Conniffe, 2002. "Sums and Products of Indirect Utility Functions," NIRSA Working Paper Series 6, National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA), NUI Maynooth, Ireland..
- Gregory M. Gelles & Douglas W. Mitchell, 1999. "Broadly Decreasing Risk Aversion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1432-1439, October.
- David E. Bell, 1988. "One-Switch Utility Functions and a Measure of Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(12), pages 1416-1424, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1790907.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.