Banking Panics and the Origin of Central Banking
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Charles W. Calomiris, 1989. "Deposit insurance: lessons from the record," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 10-30.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Josh Ryan-Collins, 2015. "Is Monetary Financing Inflationary? A Case Study of the Canadian Economy, 1935-75," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_848, Levy Economics Institute.
- Tallman, Ellis W. & Moen, Jon R., 2012.
"Liquidity creation without a central bank: Clearing house loan certificates in the banking panic of 1907,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 277-291.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Jon R. Moen, 2010. "Liquidity creation without a lender of last resort: clearing house loan certificates in the Banking Panic of 1907," Working Papers (Old Series) 1010, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Dwyer Jr., Gerald P. & Samartín, Margarita, 2009.
"Why do banks promise to pay par on demand?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-169, June.
- Margarita SamartÃn & Gerald Dwyer, 2004. "Why do banks promise to pay par on demand?," 2004 Meeting Papers 372, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gerald P. Dwyer & Margarita Samartín, 2006. "Why do banks promise to pay par on demand?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-26, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Margarita Samartin & Gerald Dwyer, 2004. "Why do Banks Promise to Pay Par on Demand?," 2004 Meeting Papers 180c, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hasman, Augusto & Samartín, Margarita & Bommel, Jos Van, 2013. "Financial contagion and depositor monitoring," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3076-3084.
- Gorton, Gary & Huang, Lixin, 2006.
"Bank panics and the endogeneity of central banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1613-1629, October.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking," NBER Working Papers 9102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Philipp Bagus & David Howden, 2012.
"Still unanswered quibbles with fractional reserve free banking,"
The Review of Austrian Economics,
Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 159-171, June.
- Bagus, Philipp & Howden, David, 2012. "Still Unanswered Quibbles with Fractional Reserve Free Banking," MPRA Paper 79596, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephen Millard, 2007. "The foundations of money, payments and central banking: A review essay," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 106, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Piffaretti, Nadia F., 2008. "Reshaping the International Monetary Architecture and Addressing Global Imbalances: Lessons from the Keynes Plan," MPRA Paper 12165, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Viral V. Acharya & Denis Gromb & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2012.
"Imperfect Competition in the Interbank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 184-217, April.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gromb, Denis & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2008. "Imperfect Competition in the Inter-Bank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6984, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2003. "Herd Behavior, Bank Runs and Information Disclosure," MPRA Paper 9513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jón Daníelsson & Jean-Pierre Zigrand, 2008.
"Equilibrium asset pricing with systemic risk,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 35(2), pages 293-319, May.
- Jean-Pierre Zigrand & Jon Danielsson, 2006. "Equilibrium Asset Pricing with Systemic Risk," FMG Discussion Papers dp561, Financial Markets Group.
- Danielsson, Jon & Zigrand, Jean-Pierre, 2008. "Equilibrium asset pricing with systemic risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24823, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Danielsson, Jon & Zigrand, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Equilibrium asset pricing with systemic risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24515, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- repec:pra:mprapa:39795 is not listed on IDEAS
- Piffaretti, Nadia F., 2009. "Reshaping the international monetary architecture : lessons from Keynes'plan," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5034, The World Bank.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Money creation and control from Islamic perspective,"
28366, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Money creation and control from Islamic perspective," MPRA Paper 39796, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Dec 2011.
- Itai Agur, 2009. "What Institutional Structure for the Lender of Last Resort?," DNB Working Papers 200, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
More about this item
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2002-09-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FIN-2002-09-11 (Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:9137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.