Monopoly and Trade Policy
This paper presents a general equilibrium technique for the problem of ranking policies of a nation that trades with a foreign monopoly firm by presenting a generalization of the offer curve. The paper demonstrates the existence of a partial welfare ranking between ad valorem rates and specific rates, and it shows that a minimum import requirement welfare dominates other quantitative policies. The paper proves that a recent policy, the voluntary import expansion, has strongly adverse consequences: when trading with a foreign monopoly firm a nation implementing such a policy will achieve only its autarky level of welfare.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1990|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of International Economics, vol. 36, no. 1/2, pp. 177-186, February 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Meza, David, 1979. "Commercial Policy Towards Multinational Monopolies-Reservations on Katrak," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(2), pages 334-337, July.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1984. "Trade warfare: Tariffs and cartels," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 227-242, May.
- Svedberg, Peter, 1979. "Optimal Tariff Policy on Imports from Multinationals," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 55(148), pages 64-67, March.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1990. "An Analysis of Import Expansion Policies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(1), pages 99-108, January.
- Takacs, Wendy E., 1978. "The nonequivalence of tariffs, import quotas, and voluntary export restraints," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 565-573, November.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1974. "The non-equivalence of tariffs and quotas under retaliation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 295-298, August.
- T. de Scitovszky, 1942. "A Reconsideration of the Theory of Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 89-110.
- D. J. Horwell, 1966. "Optimum Tariffs and Tariff Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 147-158.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.