International Effects of Tax Reforms
This paper highlights the significance of open-economy considerations in the analysis of tax reforms. It focuses on domestic and international consequences of revenue-neutral conversions between income and value-added tax systems. The principal conclusion of this investigation is that the direction of changes in the world rate of interest, the domestic tax-adjusted rate of interest, domestic and foreign investment, growth rates of consumption, and other key macroeconomic variables consequent on revenue-neutral tax reforms depend on whether the country adopting the tax reform runs a surplus or a deficit in the current account of its balance of payments. For example, a conversion from an income to a value-added tax system lowers the world rate of interest if the country adopting the reform runs a surplus in the current account of its balance of payments, but raises the world rate of interest if its current account is in a deficit. The paper also examines the implications of such reforms in the presence of direct foreign investment and considers alternative specifications of tax treatments, one based on the source of income, and the other on the country of residence of the taxpayer. It demonstrates the robustness of the key propositions to these alternatives.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as The Economic Journal, Vol. 99, No. 395, pp. 38-58, (Supplement 1989).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1983.
"National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation,"
in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 459-498
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1981. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," NBER Working Papers 0729, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Lawrence Kotlikoff, 1980. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 570, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Judd, Kenneth L, 1987. "A Dynamic Theory of Factor Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 42-48, May.
- Brock, William A & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "The Analysis of Macroeconomic Policies in Perfect Foresight Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 179-209, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2873. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.