A Simple Nonparametric Approach to Estimating the Distribution of Random Coefficients in Structural Models
We explore a nonparametric mixtures estimator for recovering the joint distribution of random coefficients in economic models. The estimator is based on linear regression subject to linear inequality constraints and is computationally attractive compared to alternative, nonparametric estimators. We provide conditions under which the estimated distribution function converges to the true distribution in the weak topology on the space of distributions. We verify the consistency conditions for discrete choice, continuous outcome and selection models.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ichimura, H. & Thompson, S., 1993.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Binary Choice Model with Random Coefficients of Unknown Distributions,"
268, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Ichimura, Hidehiko & Thompson, T. Scott, 1998. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a binary choice model with random coefficients of unknown distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 269-295, June.
- Patrick Bajari & Jeremy Fox & Kyoo il Kim & Stephen P. Ryan, 2009.
"The Random Coefficients Logit Model Is Identified,"
NBER Working Papers
14934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg, 2001.
"A New Use of Importance Sampling to Reduce Computational Burden in Simulation Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Ackerberg, 2009. "A new use of importance sampling to reduce computational burden in simulation estimation," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 343-376, December.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1999. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Proportional Hazard Model with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1001-1028, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003.
"Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred Van Keilegom, 2002. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Biernacki, Christophe & Celeux, Gilles & Govaert, Gerard, 2003. "Choosing starting values for the EM algorithm for getting the highest likelihood in multivariate Gaussian mixture models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 561-575, January.
- Jeremy T. Fox & Kyoo il Kim & Stephen P. Ryan & Patrick Bajari, 2011. "A simple estimator for the distribution of random coefficients," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 2(3), pages 381-418, November.
- repec:cep:stiecm:/2003/450 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wagner Kamakura, 1991. "Estimating flexible distributions of ideal-points with external analysis of preferences," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 419-431, September.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2007. "Linear Inverse Problems in Structural Econometrics Estimation Based on Spectral Decomposition and Regularization," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 77 Elsevier.
- Wilfried Seidel & Karl Mosler & Manfred Alker, 2000. "A Cautionary Note on Likelihood Ratio Tests in Mixture Models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 481-487, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Generalized Method of Moments Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 530-44, October.
- Karlis, Dimitris & Xekalaki, Evdokia, 2003. "Choosing initial values for the EM algorithm for finite mixtures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 577-590, January.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.