A Simple Nonparametric Estimator for the Distribution of Random Coefficients
We propose a simple nonparametric mixtures estimator for recovering the joint distribution of parameter heterogeneity in economic models, such as the random coefficients logit. The estimator is based on linear regression subject to linear inequality constraints, and is robust, easy to program and computationally attractive compared to alternative estimators for random coefficient models. We prove consistency and provide the rate of convergence under deterministic and stochastic choices for the sieve approximating space. We present a Monte Carlo study and an empirical application to dynamic programming discrete choice with a serially-correlated unobserved state variable.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||ED IO LS PR TWP|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bajari & Jeremy Fox & Kyoo il Kim & Stephen P. Ryan, 2009.
"The Random Coefficients Logit Model Is Identified,"
NBER Working Papers
14934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg, 2001.
"A New Use of Importance Sampling to Reduce Computational Burden in Simulation Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Ackerberg, 2009. "A new use of importance sampling to reduce computational burden in simulation estimation," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 343-376, December.
- Wagner Kamakura, 1991. "Estimating flexible distributions of ideal-points with external analysis of preferences," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 419-431, September.
- Burda, Martin & Harding, Matthew & Hausman, Jerry, 2008.
"A Bayesian mixed logit-probit model for multinomial choice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 232-246, December.
- Martin Burda & Matthew Harding & Jerry Hausman, 2008. "A Bayesian mixed logit-probit model for multinomial choice," CeMMAP working papers CWP23/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999.
"Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000. "Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2008.
"Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models,"
2008-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2013. "Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(2), pages 581-607, 03.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2011. "Nonparamatric estimation in random coefficients binary choice models," Working Papers hal-00403939, HAL.
- Eric Gautier & Yuichi Kitamura, 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation in Random Coefficients Binary Choice Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1721, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-41, April.
- Chen, Xiaohong, 2007. "Large Sample Sieve Estimation of Semi-Nonparametric Models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 76 Elsevier.
- Rust, J., 1994.
"Using Randomization to Break the Curse of Dimensionality,"
9429, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- John Rust, 1997. "Using Randomization to Break the Curse of Dimensionality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 487-516, May.
- John Rust & Department of Economics & University of Wisconsin, 1994. "Using Randomization to Break the Curse of Dimensionality," Computational Economics 9403001, EconWPA, revised 04 Jul 1994.
- Ichimura, H. & Thompson, S., 1993.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Binary Choice Model with Random Coefficients of Unknown Distributions,"
268, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Ichimura, Hidehiko & Thompson, T. Scott, 1998. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a binary choice model with random coefficients of unknown distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 269-295, June.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Testing inequality constraints in linear econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 205-235, June.
- Karlis, Dimitris & Xekalaki, Evdokia, 2003. "Choosing initial values for the EM algorithm for finite mixtures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 577-590, January.
- Briesch, Richard A. & Chintagunta, Pradeep K. & Matzkin, Rosa L., 2010. "Nonparametric Discrete Choice Models With Unobserved Heterogeneity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(2), pages 291-307.
- repec:cdl:compol:217 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wilfried Seidel & Karl Mosler & Manfred Alker, 2000. "A Cautionary Note on Likelihood Ratio Tests in Mixture Models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 481-487, September.
- Biernacki, Christophe & Celeux, Gilles & Govaert, Gerard, 2003. "Choosing starting values for the EM algorithm for getting the highest likelihood in multivariate Gaussian mixture models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 561-575, January.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:15210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.