Are All Ratings Created Equal? The Impact of Issuer Size on the Pricing of Mortgage-backed Securities
We examine whether rating agencies (Moody's, S&P, and Fitch) reward large issuers of mortgage-backed securities, who bring substantial business, by granting them unduly favorable ratings. The initial yield on both AAA-rated and non-AAA rated tranches sold by large issuers is higher than that on similar tranches sold by small issuers during the market boom years of 2004-2006. Moreover, the prices of MBS sold by large issuers drop more than those sold by small issuers, and the differences are concentrated among tranches issued during 2004-2006. We conclude that large issuers receive more favorable ratings and that the market prices the risk of inflated ratings, especially during booming periods.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as A RE ALL R ATINGS C REATED E QUAL ? T HE I MPACT OF I SSUER S IZE ON THE P RICING OF M ORTGAGE -B ACKED S ECURITIES , 2012, Journal of Finance 67(6), 2097-2138, with Jie He and Jun Qian.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Bo & Milbourn, Todd, 2011.
"How did increased competition affect credit ratings?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 493-514, September.
- Bo Becker & Todd Milbourn, 2010. "How did increased competition affect credit ratings?," NBER Working Papers 16404, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Efraim Benmelech & Jennifer Dlugosz, 2009.
"The Alchemy of CDO Credit Ratings,"
NBER Working Papers
14878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashcraft, Adam B. & Schuermann, Til, 2008.
"Understanding the Securitization of Subprime Mortgage Credit,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance,
now publishers, vol. 2(3), pages 191-309, June.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Til Schuermann, 2008. "Understanding the securitization of subprime mortgage credit," Staff Reports 318, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Viral V. Acharya & Philipp Schnabl & Gustavo Suarez, 2010.
"Securitization without risk transfer,"
NBER Working Papers
15730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William P. Alexander & Scott D. Grimshaw & Grant R. McQueen & Barrett A. Slade, 2002. "Some Loans Are More Equal than Others: Third-Party Originations and Defaults in the Subprime Mortgage Industry," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 667-697.
- Bar-Isaac, Heski & Shapiro, Joel, 2010.
"Ratings Quality over the Business Cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8156, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adam Ashcraft & Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham & James Vickery, 2010.
"MBS ratings and the mortgage credit boom,"
449, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.