Measuring Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy
The paper develops a forward-looking comprehensive accounting framework for the public sector.By integrating the public sector budget constraint forward in time the government's present value budget constraint (PVBC) is obtained. In addition to the familiar financial assets and liabilities, comprehensive public sector networth contains the following items: the value of the public sector capital stock; the value of public sector property rights in landand natural resources; the present value of future seigniorage, the present value of future taxes net of transfers and subsidies and the present value of future planned public sector capital formation, privatization or nationalization programmes. From the "stock" PVBC a number of different "flow" deficit concepts are derived; each one emphasizes a different aspect of the"sustainability" of current and/or prospective fiscal and financial plans. Together they provide a framework for organizing facts and plans about fiscal, financial and monetary policy and for evaluating the consistency of spending and revenue projections or scenarios,public sector debt objectives and monetary targets.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1984|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1991.
"Current and Anticipated Deficits, Interest Rates and Economic Activity,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 361-390
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J., 1984. "Current and anticipated deficits, interest rates and economic activity," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 7-27, June.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Current and Anticipated Deficits, Interest Rates and Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 1265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1984. "Allocative and Stabilisation Aspects of Budgetary and Financial Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boskin, Michael J, 1982. "Federal Government Deficits: Some Myths and Realities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 296-303, May.
- Carmichael, Jeffrey, 1982. "On Barro's Theorem of Debt Neutrality: The Irrelevance of Net Wealth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 202-213, March.
- Siegel, Jeremy J, 1979. "Inflation-Induced Distortions in Government and Private Saving Statistics," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(1), pages 83-90, February.
- Jump, Gregory V, 1980. "Interest Rates, Inflation Expectations, and Spurious Elements in Measured Real Income and Saving," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 990-1004, December.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus Miller, 1983. "Changing the Rules: Economic Consequences of the Thatcher Regime," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 305-380.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1981. "Stopping moderate inflations: the methods of Poincaré and Thatcher," Working Papers 1, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons," NBER Working Papers 1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1983. "Deficits, Crowding Out and Inflation: The Simple Analytics," NBER Working Papers 1078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1983. "The Theory of Optimum Deficits and Debt," NBER Working Papers 1232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1982. "Comment on T. J. Sargent and N. Wallace: "Some Unpleasant Monetarist Arithmetic"," NBER Working Papers 0867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1332. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.