Patents and R&D: Searching for a Lag Structure
This paper extends earlier work on the R&D to patents relationship (Pakes-Griliches 1980, and Hausman, Hall, and Griliches, 1984) to a larger but shorter panel of firms. Using both non-linear least squares and Poisson type models to treat the problem of discreteness in the dependent variable the paper tries to discern the lag structure of this relationship in greater detail. Since the available time series are short, two different approaches are pursued in trying to solve the lag truncation problem: In the first the influence of the unseen past is assumed to decline geometrically; in the second,the unobserved past series are assumed to have followed a low order autoregression. Neither approach yields strong evidence of a long lag. The available sample, though numerically large,turns out not to be particularly informative on this question. It does reconfirm, however, a significant effect of R&D on patenting (with most of it occurring in the first year or two) and the presence of rather wide and semi-permanent differences among firms in their patenting policies.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Hall, Bronwyn H., Zvi Griliches and Jerry Hausman. "Patents and R and D: Is There a Lag?" International Economic Review, Vol. 27, No. 2, (June 1986),pp. 265-283. See also NBER Reprint #0775 and NBER Working Paper #1454.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Clint Cumminq & Elizabeth S. Laderman & Joy Mundy, 1988. "The R&D Master File Documentation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Independent Observations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 483-99, March.
- John Bound & Clint Cummins & Zvi Griliches & Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe, 1984.
"Who Does R&D and Who Patents?,"
in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 21-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.