The R&D Master File Documentation
This document describes the panel of publicly traded United States manufacturing firms which was created and updated at the National Bureau of Economic Research from 1978 through 1988 within the Productivity Program. The panel consists of about 2600 large manufacturing firms with three to twenty-seven years of data each; the period covered by the sampling frame was 1976 through 1985, with data back to 1959 where possible. There are approximately 70 variables for each firm-year of data, consisting of income statement and balance sheet variables and the corresponding common stock data. The technological data available for these firms consist of R&D expenditures and patents granted, both by date of application and by granting date. The patents data are available only through about 1981, due to the limitations of our sources and budget. The firms on the file are identified both by their CUSIP number and by name, making it feasible to match this data to other sources.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn H. Hall and Fumio Hayashi., 1989.
"Research and Development as an Investment,"
Economics Working Papers
89-108, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Hayashi, Fumio, 1989. "Research and Development as an Investment," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8br8d266, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn Hall & Fumio Hayashi, 1989. "Research and Development As An Investment," NBER Working Papers 2973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brainard, William C. & Shoven, John B., 1980. "The financial valuation of the return to capital," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue 4, pages 43-104.
- William C. Brainard & John B. Shoven & Laurence Weiss, 1980. "The Financial Valuation of the Return to Capital," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 453-512.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.