Changes in the Balance Sheet of the U.S. Manufacturing Sector, 1926-1977
In: Corporate Capital Structures in the United States
This is a report on the results of a research project, sponsored by the NBER's Program on Financial Markets and Monetary Economics, which involves the collection and organization of income account and balance sheet data, at the firm level, for the years 1926-77. The primary data source for the study is Moody's Industrial Manual. Working at the firm level, it is possible to obtain accurate information on the market values of traded securities.This paper presents and discusses some of the aggregate characteristics of the dataset and also reports the results of estimating a simple portfolio model which attempts to explain changes in firm balance sheet flows for the periods 1927-35 and 1965-77.The data collected for the study, as well as software necessary to manage them efficiently, are available from the authors. An NBER Technical Paper will shortly be available to describe the dataset and software in detail.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
11418.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:11418||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Milton Friedman & A. W. Clausen, 1980. "Postwar Changes in the American Financial Markets," NBER Chapters, in: The American Economy in Transition, pages 9-100 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1978.
"Inflation and the Stock Market,"
NBER Working Papers
0276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1980. "Inflation and the Stock Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 839-47, December.
- Martin Feldstein, 1983. "Inflation and the Stock Market," NBER Chapters, in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 186-198 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1980. "A Note on Switching Regressions and Logistic Discrimination," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1065-69, May.
- William C. Brainard & John B. Shoven & Laurence Weiss, 1980. "The Financial Valuation of the Return to Capital," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 453-512.
- Brainard, William C. & Shoven, John B., 1980. "The financial valuation of the return to capital," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue 4, pages 43-104.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:11418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.