Aspects of the Current Account Behavior of OECD Economies
This essay examines some aspects of capital flows within the OECD, and outlines a framework for analyzing current account movements. In both the theoretical and empirical sections, I argue for the importance of including investment and growth in analyses of the current account. I present empirical evidence confirming that shifts in investment rates explain a large part of recent OECD current account behavior. In addition, the links in theory and practice between exchange rates and the current account are scrutinized. A link between current account deficits and depreciation is evident for the large OECD economies, but not for many smaller European economies. It appears that the exchange rate behavior in the smaller economies can be explained by specific exchange rate policies in these economies.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1982|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1980.
"Imperfect asset substitutability and monetary policy under fixed exchange rates,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 177-200, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1980. "Imperfect Asset Substitutability and Monetary Policy under Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 0485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C, 1980. "A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 673-698, August.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978. "A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination," UCLA Economics Working Papers 113, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978. "A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination," UCLA Economics Working Papers 122, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1980. "The Role of Trade Flows in Exchange Rate Determination: A Rational Expectations Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1148-1158, December.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-329, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979. "Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows," NBER Working Papers 0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Exchange Rates and the Current Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 960-971, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)