Government and Health Outcomes
In this paper, I summarize the results of empirical studies in the areas of schooling and health, public programs and infant mortality, and government regulation of teenage smoking. My review is selective and is based on my own research. It is neutral with respect to the question of whether the government should pursue policies to improve the health of its citizens. But it calls attention to the consequences with respect to health of alternative decisions by policy makers.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Grossman, Michael. "Government and Health Outcomes." The American Economic Review, Vol. 72, No. 2 (May 1982), pp. 191-195.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Grossman, 1976.
"The Correlation between Health and Schooling,"
in: Household Production and Consumption, pages 147-224
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1980.
"Time Preference and Health: An Exploratory Study,"
NBER Working Papers
0539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda N. Edwards & Michael Grossman, 1979. "Adolescent Health, Family Background, and Preventive Medical Care," NBER Working Papers 0398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewit, Eugene M & Coate, Douglas & Grossman, Michael, 1981.
"The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 545-69, December.
- Eugene M. Lewit & Douglas Coate & Michael Grossman, 1981. "The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking," NBER Working Papers 0655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schneider, Lynne & Klein, Benjamin & Murphy, Kevin M, 1981.
"Governmental Regulation of Cigarette Health Information,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 575-612, December.
- Benjamin Klein & Kevin M. Murphy & Lynne Schneider, 1981. "Governmental REgualtion of Cigarette Health Information," UCLA Economics Working Papers 200, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Michael Grossman & Steven Jacobowitz, 1981. "Variations in Infant Mortality Rates among Counties in the United States: The Roles of Social Policies and Programs," NBER Working Papers 0615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert A. Shakotko & Linda N. Edwards & Michael Grossman, 1980. "An Exploration of the Dynamic Relationship between Health and Cognitive Development in Adolescence," NBER Working Papers 0454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0780. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.