The Correlation Between Health and Schooling
This paper has two purposes. The first is to develop a methodological framework that can be used to introduce and discuss alternative explanations of the correlation between health and schooling. The second is to test these explanations empirically in order to select the most relevant ones and obtain quantitative estimates of different effects. The empirical work is limited to one rather unique body of data and uses two measures of health that are far from ideal. The methodological framework can, however, serve as a point of departure for future research when longitudinal samples with more refined measures of current and past health and background characteristics become available.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1973|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Grossman, Michael. "The Correlation Between Health and Schooling." Household Production and Consumption, edited by Nestor E. Terleckyj, pp. 147-211. New York: Columbia University Press, 1975.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert T. Michael, 1972. "The Effect of Education on Efficiency in Consumption," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mich72-1, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "Investment and the Rate of Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 1335-45, Nov.-Dec..
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1969. "On the Interindustry Wage and Hours Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(2), pages 249-73, March/Apr.
- Malkiel, Burton G & Malkiel, Judith A, 1973. "Male-Female Pay Differentials in Professional Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 693-705, September.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1970. "The Distribution of Labor Incomes: A Survey with Special Reference to the Human Capital Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Robert T. Michael, 1972. "Introduction to "The Effect of Education on Efficiency in Consumption"," NBER Chapters, in: The Effect of Education on Efficiency in Consumption, pages 3-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.