La nature juridique de l'impôt dans l'ancienne et la nouvelle économie du droit fiscal
After specifying the legal nature of tax law as a coercive power application and as a public authority expression, this article examines the way economic tax theories acknowledge these essential fiscal dimensions. Indeed, tax constraint induces a behaviour modification, so that the legal rules produce important economic implications. We first consider the particular position of the old French public financial economics ; then, we underline some public economics' failures, and especially the optimal taxation theory ones. These flaws relate to the economic, fiscal and institutional specifications of the models. We present, then, the new fiscal economics of law framework of analysis. It pretends to take into account tax law and institutions' complexity. Finally, we draw a first critical assessment and propose a future research program, argued in three main directions. In addition to the fact that thenew fiscal economics of law carries out an analysis based primarily on costs, it under estimates the tax evasion results in terms of equity. The suggested framework ignores the way legal conflicts between the taxpayer and the administration are really resolved. This leads us to analyze the institutions'evolution issue. Thus, a true methodological renewal is needed.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alm, James & McClelland, Gary H & Schulze, William D, 1999. "Changing the Social Norm of Tax Compliance by Voting," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 141-71.
- Myles, Gareth D., 1989. "Ramsey tax rules for economies with imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 95-115, February.
- Antoine d'Autume, 2001.
"L'imposition optimale du revenu : une application au cas français,"
Revue Française d'Économie,
Programme National Persée, vol. 15(3), pages 3-63.
- d'Autume, A., 2000. "L'imposition optimale du revenu : une application au cas francais," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.104, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 175-208, April.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- Diamond, P., 1994.
"Optimal Income Taxation: An Exemple with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates,"
94-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1998. "Optimal Income Taxation: An Example with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 83-95, March.
- Alm, James, 1996. "What Is an "Optimal'"Tax System?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(1), pages 117-33, March.
- Andreoni, J. & Erard, B. & Feinstein, J., 1996.
9610r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1985.
"The theory of excess burden and optimal taxation,"
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-127
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "The Approach of Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 166-192, March.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
- Steven Shavell & A. Mitchell Polinsky, 2000.
"The Economic Theory of Public Enforcement of Law,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 45-76, March.
- Louis Kaplow, 1989.
"Optimal Taxation with Costly Enforcement and Evasion,"
NBER Working Papers
2996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1990. "Optimal taxation with costly enforcement and evasion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 221-236, November.
- Joel Slemrod, 1989.
"Optimal Taxation and Optimal Tax Systems,"
NBER Working Papers
3038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- François Bourguignon, 2001. "Commentaire sur l'article d'A. d'Autume," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 15(3), pages 65-73.
- Jean-Marie Monnier, 2000. "L'équivalence fiscale des revenus et la réforme de l'impôt sur le revenu," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00677605, HAL.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1974. "Income tax evasion: A theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 201-202, May.
- Chris Heady, 1993. "Optimal taxation as a guide to tax policy: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 15-41, February.
- Mayshar, Joram, 1991. " Taxation with Costly Administration," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(1), pages 75-88.
- Alm, James & Sanchez, Isabel & de Juan, Ana, 1995. "Economic and Noneconomic Factors in Tax Compliance," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 3-18.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1999. "Introduction," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 28(3), pages 249-254, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:r06057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.