Nonlinear Dynamics and Recurrence Plots for Detecting Financial Crisis
Identification of financial bubbles and crisis is a topic of major concern since it is important to prevent collapses that can severely impact nations and economies. Our analysis deals with the use of the recently proposed "delay vector variance" (DVV) method, which examines local predictability of a signal in the phase space to detect the presence of determinism and nonlinearity in a time series. Optimal embedding parameters used in the DVV analysis are obtained via a differential entropy based method using wavelet-based surrogates. We exploit the concept of recurrence plots to study the stock market to locate hidden patterns, non-stationarity, and to examine the nature of these plots in events of financial crisis. In particular, the recurrence plots are employed to detect and characterize financial cycles. A comprehensive analysis of the feasibility of this approach is provided. We show that our methodology is useful in the diagnosis and detection of financial bubbles, which have significantly impacted economic upheavals in the past few decades.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aizenman, Joshua & Noy, Ilan, 2012. "Overview of the special issue on international finance in the aftermath of the 2008 global crisis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-268.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00694420 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Martey Addo & Monica Billio & Dominique Guegan, 2013. "Understanding Exchange Rates Dynamics," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13023, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Peter Martey Addo & Monica Billio & Dominique Guegan, 2012. "Alternative Methodology for Turning-Point Detection in Business Cycle: A Wavelet Approach," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12023, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Belaire-Franch, Jorge, 2004. "Testing for non-linearity in an artificial financial market: a recurrence quantification approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 483-494, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:13024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.