Measuring the contribution of extractive industries to local development: the case of oil companies in Nigeria
Extractive industries face two main challenges in terms of CSR and poverty reduction: 1) recognize that societal activity is part of their core business; 2) take part in socio-economic projects that contribute to their stakeholders' empowerment and not only to their living conditions. Based on surveys achieved in Nigeria in 2008, the paper presents two societal performance indices meant to be complementary: the Poverty Exit Index (PEI) and the Relational Capability Index (RCI). We show that, while they have fostered the PEI of the local communities, the development projects of the oil companies had a rather negative impact on their RCI. We then identify key variables that can influence positively the RCI and on which a sensible development policy should focus.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Surya Sen, 1999. "Global financial crisis and economic development," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Aug.
- Uwafiokun Idemudia, 2009. "Oil Extraction and Poverty Reduction in the Niger Delta: A Critical Examination of Partnership Initiatives," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 91-116, May.
- Giraud , Gaël & Renouard, Cécile, 2009.
"Relational Capability: An Indicator of Collective Empowerment,"
ESSEC Working Papers
DR 09012, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Cécile Renouard & Gaël Giraud, 2009. "Relational Capability : An Indicator of Collective Empowerment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00551842, HAL.
- Alkire, Sabina & Santos, María Emma, 2011.
"Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos, . "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp038, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Emma Santos, 2010. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:11043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.