Dynamic behavior of real and stock markets with a varying degree of interaction
We develop a macroeconomic behavioral model in order to analyze the interactions between real and financial markets. The real subsystem is represented by a simple Keynesian income-expenditure model, while the financial subsystem is represented by an equilibrium stock market with heterogeneous speculators, i.e., chartists and fundamentalists. The interactions between the two markets are modeled in the following way: the aggregate demand depends, among other variables, also on the stock market price, while the fundamental value used by speculators in their decisional process depends on real economic conditions. In our model we introduce a parameter that represents the degree of interaction. With the aid of analytical and numerical tools we show that an increasing degree of interaction between markets tends to locally stabilize the system. This stabilization occurs via a sequence of period-halving bifurcations. Globally, we find that the stabilization process implies multistability, i.e., the coexistence of different kinds of attractors.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 6448 3089
Fax: +39 02 6448 3085
Web page: http://dipeco.economia.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scheffknecht, Lukas & Geiger, Felix, 2011. "A behavioral macroeconomic model with endogenous boom-bust cycles and leverage dynamcis," FZID Discussion Papers 37-2011, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Charpe, Matthieu & Flaschel, Peter & Hartmann, Florian & Proaño, Christian, 2011. "Stabilizing an unstable economy: Fiscal and monetary policy, stocks, and the term structure of interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2129-2136, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9781107019294 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ahmad Naimzada & Marina Pireddu, 2013. "Dynamics in a nonlinear Keynesian good market model," Working Papers 254, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2013.
- Lengnick, Matthias & Wohltmann, Hans-Werner, 2010.
"Agent-based financial markets and New Keynesian macroeconomics: A synthesis,"
Economics Working Papers
2010,10, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Matthias Lengnick & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2013. "Agent-based financial markets and New Keynesian macroeconomics: a synthesis," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Lengnick, Matthias & Wohltmann, Hans-Werner, 2011. "Agent-based financial markets and New Keynesian macroeconomics: A synthesis," Economics Working Papers 2011,09, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mib:wpaper:245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Reale)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.