Industrial Districts and Economic Decline in Italy
The paper argues that the so-called canonical view of the Italian industrial district (ID) depicts it as a system whose economic and social vitality requires the interaction between two major sub-systems: a community of people and a community of firms. A range of circumstances - including insufficient aggregate demand, competition from low-cost coun- tries and technological change - have determined inconsistencies between the rationales of these two sub-systems. As a result, lead firms have emerged that substitute the ID as coordinating instances. In the pursuit of their goals, they tend to prefer cost scrapping to quality enhancement, thereby determining a competition that further undermines the ID as a system. The paper contends that this outcome is not the only possible one. An alternative would require the regulatory - as opposed to merely permissive - action of pub- lic actors in that it would have to change the incentive system that leads firms to choose short-sighted strategies.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Crescimbeni, 20 -62100 Macerata|
Web page: http://www2.unimc.it/dief
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ottati, Gabi Dei, 1994. "Trust, Interlinking Transactions and Credit in the Industrial District," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 529-546, December.
- Brian J. Loasby, 1994. "Organisational Capabilities And Interfirm Relations," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 248-265, October.
- Lombardi, Mauro, 2003. "The evolution of local production systems: the emergence of the "invisible mind" and the evolutionary pressures towards more visible "minds"," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1443-1462, September.
- A. Arrighetti & F. Traù, 2006. "Struttura industriale e architetture organizzative. Ipotesi sul "ritorno" della gerarchia," Economics Department Working Papers 2006-EP02, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Francesco Brioschi & Maria Sole Brioschi & Giulio Cainelli, 2002. "From the industrial district to the district group: An insight into the evolution of capitalism in italy1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1037-1052.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcr:wpdief:wpaper00045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvana Tartufoli)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.